Different kids have different needs. Some need academic help. Some need a stable home, food on the table, or someone who will listen and help guide the way. Others just need a pair of eyeglasses, school supplies, or shoes that fit.
Helping kids move beyond their circumstances requires a child-centered approach, not one-size-fits-all. We treat young people as individuals and address each student’s specific needs.
Our affiliates work with school and community leaders to determine how best to support local youth, guided by a set of essentials that every child needs and deserves (the Five Basics). Though the services may differ in each community, all Communities In Schools affiliates use the site coordinator model to deliver a mix of the following:
This is one of our strengths: tailoring assistance to the communities we serve while adhering to our core delivery model.
- Academic Assistance: Young people who fall behind often stay behind. We help kids catch up and get ahead with tutoring in reading and math.
- Basic Needs: Providing basics like food and clothing enables young people to come to school comfortable, nourished and better prepared to learn.
- Enrichment: Through before- and after-school activities, we expand young people’s understanding of what the world has to offer.
- Life Skills: Through one-to-one mentoring and group coaching, we instill in students the confidence to succeed, the belief that education creates opportunity, and set the expectation for success.
- Family Engagement: We ensure children have a supportive home life by helping parents access the services they need.
- Behavioral Intervention: Negative behavior undermines learning. We help kids learn to modify behavior and make positive choices.
- College & Career Prep: We assist young people in identifying their vision for the future so they have a clear goal and motivation to overcome difficult circumstances.
- Physical & Mental Health: For kids to be the best learners, they need healthy bodies and minds. We connect them to physical, dental, vision, and mental health services regardless of ability to pay.
- Community Service: By giving back in their neighborhoods, youth feel a sense of belonging, accomplishment, and value.
Learn about specific services available in each community by visiting the website of the affiliate nearest you using the links at the foot of this page or the tab in the upper right.