We’re Part of a National Movement
Communities In Schools of Washington® is part of a national affiliate network that ensures every student, regardless of race, zip code, or socioeconomic background has what they need to realize their potential in school and beyond. Working directly inside 2,860 schools across the country, Communities In Schools (CIS®) connects students to caring adults and community resources that help them see, confront, and overcome the barriers that stand between them and a brighter future. Together, we build a powerful change movement made up of peers, students, and alumni committed to building an equitable path to education for future generations.
Our Washington Affiliate Network
Communities In Schools began operating in Washington in 1991 at the urging of business and education leaders. In the 1990s, schools were increasingly burdened to provide for students’ basic needs outside of the classroom, which impacted the quality of students’ education. CIS offered a coordinated solution that leveraged community partnerships and showed demonstrated success elsewhere in the country. With support from major employers, CIS took root in the Puget Sound and has since taken off in communities across the state.
Our Washington network includes the CIS of Washington state office and 15 independent, local affiliates serving these communities: Benton-Franklin, the Blue Mountain Region, Central Washington, Federal Way-Highline, Kent, Lakewood, North Central Washington, Peninsula, Puyallup, Renton-Tukwila, Rural Eastern Washington, Seattle, Spokane County, Tacoma and Whatcom-Skagit.
About the State Office
At the CIS of Washington state office, we exist to support the efforts of our local, independent affiliates. We help build their organizational capacity so that they can serve students with quality, sustainability, and growth.
- Organizational Health: We support our affiliates to operate strong agencies using sound business practices, led by well-trained and supported executive directors and boards.
- Service Delivery Impact: By focusing on fidelity to our national service model, we help affiliates adapt the CIS model on a local scale and use data to inform student case management.
- Network Resource Development: We cultivate high-level resources across the state and ensure that affiliates have a range of tools to do effective local fundraising.
- Statewide Partnerships and Coalitions: Together with other statewide organizations and businesses, we increase the visibility and impact of youth development work.
- Expand the Reach of CIS: We engage school districts to bring integrated student supports to new communities across the state.